Welcome to the first Cancer Prevention Europe multilingual online programme on primary and secondary prevention of cancer, for cancer prevention advocates and health promoters!
The programme consists of two sets of self-learning modules:
- The European Code Against Cancer, 4th edition: This certified set of 13 self-learning modules includes a module on each of the 12 recommendations and an additional module on the methodology underlying the development of the 4th edition of the European Code Against Cancer.
- Latest evidence on cancer prevention, myths, and controversies: This complementary set of 12 self-learning modules presents the latest evidence and tackles some myths and controversies related to the topics addressed by the European Code Against Cancer, 4th edition.
The European Code Against Cancer, 4th edition
The European Code Against Cancer focuses on actions that individual citizens can take for themselves or their families to reduce their risk of developing cancer. For successful cancer prevention, these individual actions need to be supported by government policies and actions.
It is estimated that almost half of all deaths due to cancer in Europe could be avoided if everyone followed the 12 recommendations of the 4th edition of the European Code Against Cancer.
Use the self-paced modules available for each of the 12 recommendations! An additional module explains the methodology followed by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) to develop the 4th edition of the European Code Against Cancer.
To access the modules, please register/login to the learning platform.
An evaluation of the learning is available after completing the 13 self-learning modules on the European Code Against Cancer, 4th edition. The evaluation includes a survey and a quiz that, if successfully completed, will entitle you to a Certificate of Completion issued jointly by Cancer Prevention Europe and IARC.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To obtain access to the evaluation, make sure to click on the “Complete” button, located on the top right of each module page, after you finish the module.
Translations into other languages coming soon.
- The European Code Against Cancer: cancer-code-europe.iarc.fr
- Cancer Prevention Europe: cancerpreventioneurope.iarc.fr
This evaluation, to be completed in 3 steps, and its results will be part of a research study to assess the students’ learning and to improve future online learning programmes. By accessing the evaluation, you agree to share your data for research purposes and to be recontacted via email 4 months after completion of step 2, to proceed with step 3.
To access the evaluation and obtain your Certificate of Completion, you will have to complete the first set of 13 self-learning modules on the European Code Against Cancer, 4th edition. Make sure to click on the “Complete” button, located on the top right of the page, after completing each module.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To obtain a Certificate of Completion from Cancer Prevention Europe and IARC, you must complete at least the first 2 steps of the evaluation. The data collected in this evaluation are completely confidential, and the results will be assessed at an aggregate level. Your individual response will not be shared with anyone.
Latest evidence, myths, and controversies
This second set of modules presents some of the latest evidence that has emerged since the 4th edition of the European Code Against Cancer was published in 2014, and tackles some myths and controversies related to the topics addressed by the 12 recommendations of the European Code Against Cancer, 4th edition.
Use the self-paced modules to learn about further evidence beyond the European Code Against Cancer, 4th edition, and to find out how to differentiate between myths and reality. To access the modules, please register/login to the learning platform.
These modules were created thanks to the Cancer Prevention Europe (CPE) partners (cancerpreventioneurope.iarc.fr/consortium), in particular the World Cancer Research Fund International (wcrf.org), and developed by experts from all the CPE partner institutions and the International Agency for Research on Cancer.
The translations of these modules were provided by:
- The French National Cancer Institute (INCa), which specializes in comprehensive cancer control and research (e-cancer.fr), and the Centre Léon Bérard (centreleonberard.fr), which is dedicated to comprehensive cancer care, prevention, and research.
- The Asociación Española Contra el Cáncer (contraelcancer.es), which leads the efforts of Spanish society to reduce the impact of cancer and to improve people’s lives.
- The Association of European Cancer Leagues (ECL) (europeancancerleagues.org), which provides an exclusive platform for members to collaborate with their international peers, primarily in the areas of cancer prevention, tobacco control, access to medicines, and patient support. The ECL, with the support of grant agreement 101015525 from the Third European Union Health Programme 2014–2020, co-financed the translation into Hungarian with the Hungarian League Against Cancer (rakliga.hu) and the translation into Polish with the Maria Skłodowska-Curie – National Research Institute of Oncology (pib-nio.pl).
The German Cancer Research Center (dkfz.de/en) which is dedicated to cancer research. As part of the DKFZ, the Cancer Information Service provides information for patients, their families and the general public. In the National Cancer Prevention Center (NCPC), the DKFZ bundles and strengthens cancer prevention in a strategic partnership with the German Cancer Aid.